Welcome to the Gridiron Experts Ultimate Guide to Monday Night. Whether you are a fan of the teams doing battle, have fantasy football or gaming implications, or you’re simply looking for creative ways to increase your alcohol intake during the Monday Night Football telecast, we’ve got you covered. For the second week in a row, the NFC South plays host to MNF as the 2-2 New York Jets visit the 1-3 Atlanta Falcons.
New York Jets at Atlanta Falcons (-9.5)
If Atlanta keeps settling for field goals in the red zone, the Jets might be able to control the ball with Bilal Powell and the running game, and hang around long enough to be in this game at the end. However, I think turnovers will continue to haunt New York and I expect a generally poor Falcons defense to make a few big plays against Geno Smith in primetime. The outcome of this game could be very close to the 9.5-point spread, but I’ll take the Falcons and lay the points.
Atlanta 27, New York 17
MNF Drinking Game
The matchup on the football field doesn’t have to be the only game in town on Monday night. Get a group together, grab your favorite beer and a bottle of liquor, and enjoy the Gridiron Experts MNF Drinking Game.
- Take one drink for every handoff to a running back
- Take one shot every time a team attempts to convert on fourth down
- Take one drink for every penalty
- Take one drink for every Matt Ryan incomplete pass
- Take one drink for every Geno Smith completion
- Take one shot for every turnover by a Jets quarterback (Geno Smith or otherwise)
- Take one shot every time Steven Jackson is shown on the sideline in street clothes
- Take one drink every time ESPN plays a song with Georgia in the title during the telecast (for example, Georgia On My Mind, Midnight Train to Georgia, or The Devil Went Down to Georgia)
- Take one shot every time Jon Gruden says someone does something “the right way”
Beer of the Week
The Beer of the Week represents a tasty offering from the city/region hosting the week’s Monday Night Football contest. Feel free to incorporate the Beer of the Week into the MNF Drinking Game.
SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale – Atlanta-based SweetWater Brewing Company started churning out West Coast style beers – very hoppy, often with an aroma of citrus and pine – in 1997. On April 20th (4/20) of that year, the company first brewed what has become one of its most popular offerings, the SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale. Despite its heavy hop notes, this beer is easy to drink, with a balance of malt and citrus playing nicely off of each other. The SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale isn’t widely available outside of the Southeast market, but it’s a treat for those that can get their hands on it for this week’s Falcons game.