Welcome to the Gridiron Experts Ultimate Guide to Monday Night. Whether you are a fan of the teams doing battle, have fantasy football or gaming implications, or you’re simply looking for creative ways to increase your alcohol intake during the Monday Night Football telecast, we’ve got you covered. Week 6 has the 2-3 San Diego Chargers hosting their second MNF game of the year, while Andrew Luck makes his first career start on Monday night for the 4-1 Indianapolis Colts.
Indianapolis Colts at San Diego Chargers (-1.0)
Andrew Luck should have a big game in his MNF debut, but I think Philip Rivers and the Chargers passing game will be up to the challenge. We projected both quarterbacks as top-six fantasy plays for the week and that should lead to plenty of points on the board. The difference, though, will be the ability of Indianapolis to complement Luck with an effective running game, while San Diego will struggle even against a poor Colts’ run defense. I expect the Chargers to hang around, but to ultimately fall short for a second time this season on Monday night.
Indianapolis 31, San Diego 27
MNF Drinking Game
The matchup on the football field doesn’t have to be the only game in town on Monday night. Get a group together, grab your favorite beer and a bottle of liquor, and enjoy the Gridiron Experts MNF Drinking Game.
- Take one drink for every first down in the game
- Take one shot for every turnover
- Take one drink for every scoring play (touchdown or field goal)
- Take one shot for every comparison of Andrew Luck to Peyton Manning
- Take one drink for every Danny Woodhead reception
- Take one drink for every Trent Richardson carry
- Take one drink for every pass completed to a tight end
- Finish your drink if Ryan Mathews leaves the game with an injury
- Take one shot every time Jon Gruden eludes to the rules of today’s game being confusing to him or that he doesn’t know how guys are supposed to play under the current rules
Beer of the Week
The Beer of the Week represents a tasty offering from the city/region hosting the week’s Monday Night Football contest. Feel free to incorporate the Beer of the Week into the MNF Drinking Game.
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA – The Sculpin fish is known for the stinging spikes on its fins, but also for its delicious meat. Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits Company in San Diego thought something that has a sting but tastes great was a perfect representation of its India Pale Ale, which balances a sharp taste of hops with sweet, citrusy flavors. The Sculpin is also meant to be a testament to Ballast Point’s humble beginnings in the back of a homebrew supply store. Today, Ballest Point churns out the 7% ABV Sculpin IPA from a brewery less than 10 miles north of the Chargers’ Qualcomm Stadium.
Self-described fantasy degenerate that has been participating in fantasy sports leagues since the spiral notebook scoring era. If you can make a fantasy league out of it, I’m in.