Welcome to the Gridiron Experts Ultimate Guide to Monday Night. Whether you are a fan of the teams doing battle, have fantasy football or gaming implications, or you’re simply looking for creative ways to increase your alcohol intake during the Monday Night Football telecast, we’ve got you covered. Week 12 brings us the 6-4 San Francisco 49ers against the 3-7 Washington Redskins.
San Francisco 49ers at Washington Redskins (+5.0)
I expect San Francisco to run the ball early and often against Washington, mixing in a few Colin Kaepernick passes here and there to Anquan Boldin and Vernon Davis. The Redskins will likely try to follow suit in the running game, but once they fall behind, Robert Griffin III will be forced to make plays down the field. While I think he’ll hit enough plays to Pierre Garcon and company to keep Washington within striking distance, I predict they will fall short against an overall superior 49ers team. Five points is a little more than I would prefer to give a home team in primetime game, but I think San Francisco can cover it.
San Francisco 27, Washington 20
MNF Drinking Game
The matchup on the football field doesn’t have to be the only game in town on Monday night. Get a group together, grab your favorite beer and a bottle of liquor, and enjoy the Gridiron Experts MNF Drinking Game.
- Take one drink for every scoring play (touchdown, field goal, safety, etc.)
- Take one shot for every play that is reviewed (either by coach’s challenge or booth review)
- Take an additional one shot if a play is overturned on review
- Take one drink for every Colin Kaepernick pass attempt
- Take one shot for every Robert Griffin III completion of 20 yards or more
- Take one drink for every rushing attempt for someone other than Frank Gore and Alfred Morris
- Take one shot for every reception by a 49er other than Anquan Boldin or Vernon Davis
- Take one drink every time a famous Washington D.C. building or monument is shown during the telecast
- Take one drink every time Jon Gruden starts a sentence with “Mike,…” in reference to Mike Tirico
Beer of the Week
The Beer of the Week represents a tasty offering from the city/region hosting the week’s Monday Night Football contest. Feel free to incorporate the Beer of the Week into the MNF Drinking Game.
DC Brau On the Wings of Armageddon – With a name like that, it has to be good, right? When it was founded in 2009, DC Brau Brewing was the first brewery to operate inside the District of Columbia since 1956. On the Wings of Armageddon (OTWOA) was created in homage to Mayan and Hopi doomsday prophecies that include a transition from one world to another. OTWOA is an imperial IPA with strong aromas of citrus on the front end, along with light bread and biscuit notes. A balance of sweetness and bitterness masks OTWOA’s 9.2% ABV, making it a deceptively smooth brew with world-class flavor.
Self-described fantasy degenerate that has been participating in fantasy sports leagues since the spiral notebook scoring era. If you can make a fantasy league out of it, I’m in.