Philadelphia Eagles at Washington Redskins -3.5
The biggest storylines heading into the first game of Week 1’s Monday Night Football doubleheader are the return of Robert Griffin III from last season’s knee injury, and Chip Kelly’s NFL coaching debut. But this is also a matchup of NFC East rivals, with Washington looking to repeat as division champs while Philadelphia tries to rebound from last year’s 4-12 campaign.
The over/under on this game is set at 51½ and is among the highest projected totals of the week. In a game that I believe will live up to the high-scoring potential, both teams should be able to move up and down the field. While the Eagles will be a lot more fun to watch on offense this year, their defense will continue to be an issue. I’m predicting a triumphant return for RGIII and I’ll give the 3½ points.
Washington 34, Philadelphia 24
MNF Drinking Game
The matchup on the football field doesn’t have to be the only game in town on Monday night. Get a group together, grab your favorite beer and a bottle of liquor, and enjoy the Gridiron Experts MNF Drinking Game.
- Take one drink for every incomplete pass
- Take one drink for every yard penalized (for example, a 5-yard penalty equals five drinks)
- Take one shot for every lost fumble
- Take six drinks for every touchdown scored in the game
- Take one shot for every ESPN split-frame view of Michael Vick and Robert Griffin III
- Take one drink for every on-air mention of Dr. James Andrews (BONUS shot if Andrews is in attendance and is shown on TV)
- Take one drink for every on-air mention of Andy Reid
- Take one shot every time an old picture of Jon Gruden as an assistant coach is shown on TV
- Take one drink every time Jon Gruden uses “heck of a” during the telecast (heck of a player, heck of a coach, heck of a quarterback, etc.)
Beer of the Week
The Beer of the Week represents a tasty offering from the city/region hosting the week’s Monday Night Football contest. Feel free to incorporate the Beer of the Week into the MNF Drinking Game.
Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter – brewed in honor of Hunter S. Thompson, this imperial stout is dark and complex. Weighing in at 9.2% ABV, this beer features chocolate, coffee, and vanilla malt flavors. Brewed in Frederick, Maryland, less than an hour from the Redskins’ stadium in Landover, the Gonzo Imperial Porter is a prime choice for Washington’s home opener.
Houston Texans -3.5 at San Diego Chargers
For this week’s second Monday Night Football game, the storylines center around the health of Arian Foster and an injury-riddled receiving corp in San Diego. The Chargers are 3-1 when playing in the second game of the Week 1 MNF doubleheader, but this will be their first time hosting the game.
San Diego is 4-0 all-time against the Texans, but I find it hard to believe that they will continue that success in the 2013 season opener. Rivers is likely to be under constant pressure, and Houston should be able to generate points off of turnovers. While the spread suggests this could be a close game, I don’t think that will be the case, as the Texans have too much fire power on both sides of the ball. I’ll take Houston on the road in this one, laying the 4 points.
Houston 31, San Diego 17
MNF Drinking Game
Whether you’re holding off the party until Game 2 or haven’t quite gotten enough after Game 1, the Gridiron Experts MNF Drinking Game is back for part two of the doubleheader.
- Take one shot for every interception thrown
- Take three drinks for every field goal made in the game
- Take one drink for every handoff to Arian Foster or Ryan Mathews
- Take one drink every time Philip Rivers is sacked
- Take one shot for every time ESPN shows footage of a young Chris Berman reporting from the sideline, at a practice, etc.
- Take one drink every time Chris Berman uses one of his cliché nicknames (for example, Philip Cry Me a Rivers)
- Take one shot every time Chris Berman says, “Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin”
- Take one shot every time Chris Berman says, “He could… go… all… the… way”
- Take one drink every time Chris Berman mentions Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, Lance Alworth, or any other former Chargers that haven’t played for the team in over 25 years
Beer of the Week
Two Monday Night Football games means two installments of the Beer of the Week. Enjoy them both responsibly.
Stone IPA – with Game 2 of the MNF doubleheader shifting to the West Coast, it’s only appropriate to go with a beer that truly embodies the West Coast IPA, full of citrusy flavor. A hoppy India Pale Ale with a golden amber color, the Stone IPA checks in at 6.9% ABV. Brewed in Escondido, California, just north of San Diego, this beer is perfect for a Chargers game on a Monday night.